Tuesday, 27 October 2015

and enjoyed a celebration

It was  our tenth wedding anniversary last week and we celebrated with a short break on Mull. We've been a few times before but just for the day and it's a pretty big island so there's been a limit to how far we've been able to explore. Our recent run of good weather had broken and we'd had a fairly blusterous night so there was a tiny worry that that the ferry might not run but MV Isle of Mull departed on time.

 After breakfast on board we arrived on Mull nice and early with plenty of time for sightseeing.

just what you need to give you sea legs 

Back in the summer  I wrote about our last trip there, and this time we headed back to Bunessan where  the Heritage Centre was open. It's a great wee place, MrS had a long chat with one of the  (volunteer) staff and I was really taken with the display telling the stories behind the names on the War Memorial

we were glad to see this sign on the door

Next stop was just over the hill at Ardalanish Weavers.  I'd spotted signs to this the last time but we hadn't had time to visit. We were lucky, it was a weaving day and so could see the loom in action, we were glad of the ear defenders though, and that was from just one loom. I can't imagine the din in a huge industrial mill. They produce non woven products too and I treated myself to a cosy new jumper. We  also picked up some samples for fabrics for our new rooms. One of them is very appropriately named!

the other one is called Hebridean woad

My advance planning wasn't a complete success ....We we got hungry and I remembered reading about a fab seafood restaurant at Fionnphort, mmm anticipating prawns or seafood soup  off we set.....

Hmmm. Double fail. Not only does  the Ninth Wave only open for dinner and gets booked weeks if not months in advance, it had also closed for the season two weeks earlier.  Then there's The Creel Seafood Bar at the Harbour?  Closed. Until April.  Still we didn't go hungry The Keel Row was open and dog friendly too.  Mull Cheddar panini and coffee hit the spot.

After lunch we took  leisurely drive around to the Tiroran House Hotel, our home for the night, followed by good a walk along the shore in front of the hotel.  This was probably DogS's favourite part of the trip, the grounds are enclosed so she was able to have good safe run. And a paddle.  She was rather less keen on her wash and rub down later......

After our walk we were greeted with  tea and brownies and enjoyed that almost mythic time, warm enough to sit outside, too cold for midges.

We knew the weather was due to break  but luckily didn't have to use Tiroran's umbrella to keep us dry on the short walk to the main house for  dinner. Mmm, I was glad we'd been sparing with the brownies. Pigeon, local lamb and burnt sugar tart were just  parts of our scrumptious meal.

We were sad to leave next morning but had plans to explore new bits of the island. And I was already hatching a plan to return next time GlamourPuss and Profski come to stay, taking them too of course!

Overnight the wind had picked up again and it was fairly fresh on Calgary beach, but our luck was in and the rain held off until we were back in the car.

Calgary beach

After that there was time for a quick visit to Tobermory for  Mull museum and the  shops before we headed to Craignure for the ferry ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment